Monday, June 14, 2010

Recent Primaries a Sign of Improvement...?

I spent the last month at my grandparents' lovely home in Orlando FL. While there, I watched the news (mainly FOX) nearly every evening (and some mornings too!) because my Grandpa enjoys knowing everything that's going on. Primaries for many states took place in late May and I watched along with my Grandpa for who would come out tops in the Republican field. And what I saw deeply disturbed me.

The Bible speaks plainly, as follows, on the issue I am about to address...

9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves. 10 Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds. 11 Woe to the wicked! Disaster is upon them! They will be paid back for what their hands have done. 12 Youths oppress my people, women rule over them. O my people, your guides lead you astray; they turn you from the path. -Isaiah 3:9-12

16 In that day the Egyptians will be like women. They will shudder with fear at the uplifted hand that the LORD Almighty raises against them. -Isaiah 19:16

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety. -1 Timothy 2:11-15

3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
-Titus 2:3-5

Feel free to look all of these verses up. None are taken out of context. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So back to my story... What deeply concerned me was the number of "conservative" women who came out on top--over other conservative men in the republican primaries. What I am about to state is very anti-cultural, offends most Christians, and nearly all women: Women were not meant to be in leadership over men, but to be in submission TO THEIR OWN HUSBANDS (or fathers). Did you read the Bible verses I posted above? And those are not even all the ones I have found in my studies. Believe me, I didn't enter the Scripture with the firm conviction that women were not to lead men, and then just back up my presupposed thought with these Scriptures. No no, the belief and conviction I hold in this area is a direct RESULT of seeking God's word in this area of what I, as a woman, am to do with my life!

Did I always like this result? NO WAY!! When I was little I used to think to myself they needed someone with SENSE in that legislature, and that maybe, just maybe, I'd be the one to spark the revolution of our political system!

It's very popular in our day and age (it's all over movies and books) to justify our ACTIONS by what the GOAL is. That whatever actions it took to get a "good deed" done were necessary and therefore OK. This is extremely unBiblical! Jesus is always always always looking at the heart of the issue and of each and every one of our actions. I think of the movie Eragon which is actually a great film--minus one MAJOR issue. The lead character, Eragon, is told by his older and wiser mentor to stay put for his own safety and not attempt a rescue of another good guy. Eragon disobeys, completes a successful rescue, and then says to his enraged mentor, "Better to ask forgiveness than permission." We as Christians are doing the same exact course of action in this matter of politics. Men are not doing their jobs, rising up to do the right thing and beat the bad guys, so women are stepping in and doing it for them. Sure it worked out in Eragon, but that is a fictional movie and not ultimately based on the Bible. Just as Jesus condemns disobedience of authority, I firmly believe he condemns women stepping into a man's role. He MADE them different and to have different roles! And when humans step in and say "we have a better way than God's way" ooh my, that is very bad business and I fear for our country....

From the verses above it is clear to me that women ruling a kingdom is a sign of judgment from God. That is what sobers me the most. That Christians are not only taking women running for office lying down and without question, but are actually voting for them in the bargain! I don't claim to have it all figured out, but I cannot reason away the verses above. As for that nonsense about women being submissive to their husbands being a thing of the past/history, if you take that line with part of the Bible, where will it end, I ask you? How many commandments from God are just "cultural" and how many are actually "for life."

The bottom line is that if we TRULY believe that every single line in the Bible is the inspired word of the most Holy and Jealous God, there is not a single thing in that book which we are not required to live by. And I know you're thinking about all those things the Jews did in the old Testament, and do we have to do all that now--no. Christ makes it very clear that he fulfilled the traditions and that they are no longer necessary, as he has bridged the gap which could never be filled, by dying on the cross. But that is a whole other topic :)

A quote from Noah Webster comes to mind...

"The Bible is the chief moral cause of all that is good, and the best book for regulating the concerns of man. The principles of genuine liberty, and of wise laws and administrations, are to be drawn from the Bible and sustained by its authority. The man therefore, who weakens or destroys the divine authority of that book may be subject to all the public disorders which society is doomed to suffer. There are two powers only, sufficient to control the men and secure the rights of individuals: the combined force of liberty and law."

If by trying to bring about "good" in this country, we forsake the law of God and re-write it to suit our own ambitions and vision, we are lost and our country with us... "What good will it do you to gain the whole world and forfeit your soul?" Jesus asks in Matthew. What good indeed...

I ask you to consider this unpopular teaching, and test your own beliefs constantly in this world that wants desperately to turn us from Christ and all that he stands for.

Kingdoms will rise and fall, but what matters is that we obeyed God's commandments with eternity in mind. Not with the next election in mind.

1 comment:

Joshua Schwisow said...

This trend is deeply disturbing. Palin, who is an avowed evangelical has recently openly called herself a "feminist". This trend towards egalitarianism and matriarchy will NOT lead to an equality of genders but will essentially make both genders neuter and wipe out the important God given distinctions that are there.

Most people think in terms of a race/gender power struggle at all times and therefore can't configure a world where male and female are equal yet with differing levels of authority and jurisdiction. Thanks for pointing out the clear teaching of Scripture on the matter.